Clinical Research (CI) refers to all research that is developed on humans (healthy or ill). It focuses on improving knowledge of diseases, developing new diagnostic and treatment methodologies or medical devices that enable better patient care.
It is highly legally sound, respects study protocols and can only be carried out under certain conditions, namely:
- have the aim of increasing medical knowledge;
- be carried out by competent individuals;
- take the necessary measures to protect those who volunteer to cooperate with the investigation;
- obtain regulatory approvals and take all necessary ethical and legal measures;
- collect the consent of those involved in the research.
There are two fundamental types of Clinical Trials: